Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Equipment that I use

In the near future I would like to take some of my posts to cover different training sessions with my Cockers. Some of the posts will cover specific training sessions while others will just cover generic routines and techniques that I use while training. However, before I make it into those posts, I’d like to briefly describe some of the equipment that I use for training. That way, as I refer to different items in later posts, hopefully everyone will know what I’m talking about. For many of my readers I think that this will be a very elementary post, and I apologize for that.
The first item that I believe is crucial to training is a slip lead. They are extremely handy because they can be carried in a pocket and used whenever necessary. They also do not need a collar wimagehen being used, and since I don’t run my Cockers with collars on, the slip lead is perfect. I also find the slip lead to be comfortable in my hands, and the shorter length is what I want for keeping my Cockers under control. The leads come in varying lengths, but I use a four foot lead. I can’t think of any situation where I want my Cockers in front of me when they are on a lead, so the four foot lead is perfect for keeping them in a heeled position. The leads also come in varying diameters. I would recommend getting the smallest diameter available, within reason.The leads that I use are from Mendota. I have been very happy with them to this point. Plus, they come in lots of different color combinations so you can look stylish in the field!
A good whistle is also an invaluable training (and hunting) tool. The whistle allows me to get my Cockers’ attention quickly and Acme Sonec 3-inch Dog Whistle #210.5consistently, and is much more “sophisticated” than yelling voice commands at my dog. I started out using my voice and using my mouth to whistle, but it was a night-and-day difference when I switched to using a real whistle. The Cockers are much more responsive to a whistle sound  than to a voice, and using a real whistle allows me to get a higher pitch than I could by using my mouth to whistle. The whistle that I use is the Acme 210.5. It is designed specifically for Spaniels. It is also  does not have a pea inside of it, so there is no fear of of having the pea stick in poor weather. An added note, don’t forget to purchase a lanyard along with the whistle—you don’t want to constantly be fumbling in your pocket for the whistle!

I own a wide variety of retrieving objects for my Cockers. The most basic and necessary of these is a canvas dummy. Cocker puppies need a smaller sized dummy when they are young puppies, but I had Rocky on the full sized ones at about five to six months of age. I also use Dokken Dummies often during my training. I own the Partridge and the Pheasant, and these sizes seem to suit my Cockers well. The Partridge was  probably Rocky’s favorite retrieving object when he was younger, and he has recently started showing the same desire for the Pheasant. The results are obviously subjective, but I feel that these dummies have improved the way both of my Cockers hold real birds. Besides, if they like retrieving them so much, there’s no reason to stop using them! The last retrieving object that I use is a regular tennis ball. Sometimes I will put a little pheasant scent out of a bottle on it, but oftentimes I just leave it as-is. The tennis ball is excellent for using in mowed grass since it’s harder for the Cocker to locate and encourages searching. It also encourages the Cocker to follow the scent trail to the object, which somewhat resembles a shot bird that is running.
I use a variety of other objects during training sessions, but the three things mentioned above will get you well on your way to having a hunting machine. Other objects include a 30’ lead for controlling a younger puppy (both my Cockers are well beyond that stage), frozen pigeons (pretty self-explanatory), and lots of patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment