Friday, January 21, 2011

A Few Drills

Rocky has really been coming on strong lately. Unfortunately, his owner has been swamped with work! However, every time I take him out, it seems like he surprises me with something new. Case in point: last week I took him to the park for some quartering exercises. After he found the last ball I’d planted for him, he started “asking” me for a retrieve. I hupped him and through a ball for him. But, rather than giving him a simple retrieve, I decided to throw something new in. I sent him for the retrieve, but when he was about half way there, I blew the stop whistle and he spun around and sat down looking at me! I really couldn’t believe it. I have done a lot of basic obedience with him, but he has such a strong desire to retrieve that I figured it would override the obedience.

In the video below Rocky demonstrates his new trick. I have not done it again since the video was taken because as you’ll see in the video, he starts to anticipate the stop whistle. It only took a few normal retrieves to iron this out, but I certainly don’t want any hiccups in his retrieving. At the start of the video you’ll also see him demonstrate his steadiness when I roll a tennis ball in front of his nose.

Let me apologize in advance for the poor video quality. The baby noises in the background are also distracting, but try to focus on the dog work Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment