Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Memory Retrieves

UPDATE: See the bottom of this post for a VIDEO of me doing a memory retrieve with Rocky!

In my review of the Hawcroft training DVDs I mentioned that Simon shows how to create an insatiable desire to retrieve in Cockers. One of the methods that he uses for creating this desire is memory retrieves. I had read about these retrieves prior to watching the DVDs, but I didn’t really understand how they worked and more importantly, I didn’t understand how crucial they are for developing the desire to retrieve.

Blog 12.8

The memory retrieve is really pretty simple. I make my Cocker hup next to me and then throw a dummy out about 20 or so yards. Whenever I am throwing something that I want them to eventually retrieve, I also say “watch” to the Cocker as the object is in the air. I feel that this helps the Cocker concentrate on the object, and eventually it should be useful while duck hunting. After I have throw out the dummy, I start walking away from it and command the Cocker to “come”. After walking a distance the other direction, I hup the Cocker at my side, give him a line with my hand, and then send him.

I have been absolutely amazed at my Cockers’ ability to mark dummies on blind retrieves. Just today I gave Rocky a 100+ yard memory retrieve in very heavy cover. It was scrub oak with knee high grass and weeds mixed in. When I sent him, he took off like a bullet on a line. I thought for sure he had headed about 20 yards to the right of where I had thrown the dummy, but he quickly disappeared out of sight. Apparently he had the right line though, because within seconds he was high-tailing it back to me as fast as he could with the Dokken Pheasant in his mouth. He was EXTREMELY excited to complete this retrieve and tried to give me some kisses after delivering the dummy!

Rocky has never failed to complete a memory retrieve, and absolutely loves them. When he was about four months old I started giving him shorter, may 30-40 yard, memory retrieves and then progressed from there. I don’t know what it is about these retrieves, but they sure increase the retrieving drive. Even Macy, who seems to normally view retrieving more of an obligation than pleasure, seems to enjoy these retrieves.

I have tried to progressively make these retrieves harder for my Cockers, just to keep it interesting, and to improve their marking. I have gone as far as to throw a dummy out into a lake and then walk back into the woods 50 yards before sending one of my Cockers. They still perform these flawlessly.  It’s good to start out doing these retrieves on open ground, but you’ll be amazed at their ability to find the dummy in heavy cover as they get older.

Blog 12.8One benefit of doing memory retrieves is cultivating the desire to retrieve, but I think there is a second benefit. I haven’t noticed it with Rocky, but Macy sometimes has difficulty with longer retrieves. She will sometime get to a certain distance and then start to quarter back and forth, but fails to go any further. I am not positive what caused this, but giving her longer memory retrieves has seemed to help open her up a little bit. It’s definitely good for her to get out 100 yards from me to complete a retrieve because it gives her some confidence at longer distances on normal retrieves. I unfortunately did not do memory retrieves with Macy when she was younger, and I think that has partially contributed to her lack of confidence at longer ranges. I think there is one other factor, but I will cover that in another post.

Tomorrow I would like to get a video of Rocky completing one of his memory retrieves, but I was unable to get one today. So check back tomorrow evening for the video! I promise to have pictures and videos that are more relevant to the topic from here-on-out!

No comments:

Post a Comment